Who is Charles Harper?
- Respected barrister, following in the entrepreneurial spirit of his great grandfather and grandfather
- Treasurer of the WA Bar Association
- President of the WA Hockey Association, the WA Sports Federation, the Australian Hockey Association and Suburban Hockey Club
- It won him special Australian Hockey Association Award of Merit just before he passed away at 42.
- Committee member of UWA Convocation, serving on its Standing and Statutes Committee
- Part of the 1970s training squad for an America’s Cup challengers Southern Cross and Australia
- Deep love of music spaneed over 11 years
- Member of the University Choral Society
- A committee member of the 1979 National Eisteddfod
- A champion of the UWA MBA programme when it first started
- Championed the belief that a University striving for excellence should have its own MBA programme. This was, at first modelled on Harvard University’s degree course
- Wrote Constitution for newly established WA Institute of Business Administration, serving as its President for 10 years
The Charles Harper Prize was established in 2000 as a means of recognising MBA students who make an outstanding contribution to the UWA MBA program.
The prestigious award is conferred to the full-time or part-time student who has, in the opinion of the selection committee, made the greatest overall contribution to the program in terms of:
- Involvement in the enhancement of the stature and public image of the MBA degree;
- Participation in the improvement of the academic relevance and excellence of the MBA course;
- Promotion of positive and productive staff/student relationships and community spirit of the student body; and,
- Demonstration of leadership, and respect of the student body.
The winner is selected from nominees by a committee consisting of the President of the Graduate Management Association, the MBA Program Director and other faculty heads.
The Charles Harper Prize for each year is awarded at the GMA Black Tie Dinner the following year.
Nominations for charles harper prize FOR 2021 are now closed.
Past Winners of the Charles Harper Prize
- 2019: Phuong Nguyen
- 2018: Josh Conner
- 2017: David Warby & Bindi Shah
- 2016: Aine Healy-Carter
- 2015: Tarik Voirin
- 2014: Conrad Pires, Tomy Hwang & Peter Dyett
- 2013: Hossein Sedaghat
- 2012: Teck Lim & Jenny Gamble
- 2011: Graham Harmsworth
- 2010: Arthur Hiemstra
- 2009: Tracey Deveugle-Frink
- 2008: Sean Webb
- 2007: Patrick Breuer
- 2006: Jo Pownall
- 2005: Bourby Webster
- 2004: Zoe Kristall
- 2003: Norm Roberts
- 2002: Katherina Bte Juma`at
- 2001: Jonathan Trautman
- 2000: Tracy Tayl